An exemption from real estate taxes shall be allowed for the first $20,000.00 of assessed value. All new applicants must file between July 1 and December 1 of each year. Applicant's eligibility will be approved upon meeting the following requirements.
- The applicant must be 65 years of age or older by July 1st of the relevant tax year. (For example, if you will turn 65 between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017, you may come to the office between July 1, 2016 and December 1, 2016 to apply for Exemption for the 2017 tax year.) Bring with you a valid West Virginia Driver’s License or valid West Virginia I.D. You must have this to sign up.
- To qualify for the Exemption based on disability, applicant must have a doctor’s letter to state applicant is permanently and totally disabled or the letter received awarding the applicant their disability status.
- Applicant must be an owner and occupant of the property.
- Applicant must have been a resident of West Virginia for two consecutive years preceding July 1st of the relevant tax year.
- Applicants must sign an oath stating that they do not receive a similar exemption in another state or county.
- If an applicant owns and occupies a mobile home, he or she may qualify for the Exemption on the mobile home even if someone else owns the land on which it sits.
- Only one exemption shall be allowed for each Homestead used and occupied by the owners thereof, regardless of the number of owners residing therein.
Senior Citizens Tax Credit (W.Va. Code §11-21-21.) THIS IS HANDLED BY THE STATE TAX DEPARTMENT. They may be contacted locally at the Beckley office at 304-256-6764, or the Charleston office at 304-558-3333 or 1-800-982-8297.
©2017 Raleigh County Assessor. All rights reserved.